Focusrite OctoPre MKII Dynamic - The Octopre Dynamic has eight channels of Focusrite microphone pre-amplification, eight VCA-based Red 3-derived compressors and built-in 24-bit / 96 kHz digital inputs and outputs. Here at Inta-Audio we love the OctoPre MkII Dynamic due to its feature-rich expansion upgrade for any digital audio workstation. The Focusrite Octopre dynamic is equally an ideal expansion for any analogue or digital console, or hard disk recorder.
Save £40.00 on the Focusrite Octopre Dynamic with 8 free 6m Mic leads (176083) included:
So Why the Octopre Dynamic? At Inta-Audio we often get customers asking us for high quality microphone pre amps with Digital inputs and outputs this is where the Octopre Dynamic comes in. The Octopre lets you make the most of often-neglected ADAT i/o; ideal for expanding the number of mic-pre inputs on your interface or for providing analogue monitoring from any digital ADAT feed.
With this entire package fitting into a single 1U chassis complementing Focusrite’s Saffire PRO range, and all controls adjustable from the front fascia, OctoPre MkII Dynamic sets the standard for modern, compact, multi-channel recording expansions.
Focusrite Octopre Dynamic Features
• Eight award-winning Focusrite pre-amps
Focusrite's unparalleled pre-amp legacy forms the foundation of this new device, with pre-amps optimized to handle extreme levels from sound sources like acoustic drums.
• Eight ‘single-dial’ Focusrite Compressors
A single dial gets you to the right amount of compression, fast. These new VCA-based, feed-forward compressors model the character of the celebrated Focusrite Red 3.
• Compress transparently or with effect
The classic soft-knee design achieves beautifully transparent compression that caresses your sound. Focusrite’s unique “More” switch doubles the ratio to deliver ‘compression with effect’.
• Built-in eight channel 24-bit / 96 kHz digital outputs
Make the most of your interface's ADAT input for tracking, with eight channels of analogue to digital conversion via ADAT, boasting a ‘real world’ dynamic range performance of 110dB.
• Built-in eight channel 24-bit / 96 kHz digital inputs
Switchable from the front panel, digital to analogue conversion via ADAT provides analogue monitoring of any digital ADAT feed, as well as the ability to clock from any ADAT device.
• State-of-the-art Clocking Solutions
OctoPre MkII Dynamic's internal clock delivers a jitter performance of +/- 20 PPM. For external clocks, industry-standard JetPLL™ jitter elimination technology is employed
• Two high-quality instrument inputs
OctoPre MkII Dynamic’s first two channels feature DI’s, ready for you to plug in your Guitars and Bass. No expensive external DI required.
Octopre Dynamic Additional features:
• Input clip and Compression active LEDs on every channel
• 5 LED input metering on every channel
• Phantom power available on every channel (switched in two groups: 1-4 and 5-8)
• 24-bit resolution, 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz sampling rates
• Internal clocking, master clocking and external clocking via BNC or ADAT
The Compressors featured in OctoPre MkII Dynamic are a new VCA-based, feed-forward design, derived from the celebrated Focusrite Red 3.
With just a single dial, these eight 'recording' compressors allow you to get to the desired amount of compression for each channel, fast, providing a natural but loud sound. The single dial solution decreases the threshold, and increases the makeup gain simultaneously, the result of which is a sound that gets progressively more compressed but retains a good output level.
The compressors uses a soft-knee progressive compression curve, modeled on the properties of the Red 3 compressor, and featuring a fixed Attack time of 1.2 ms and Release time of 28ms. The circuit has been tuned by ear at Focusrite and these settings were chosen after critical listening and analysis of the Red 3. Bass guitar and drums were put through the Red 3 compressor, and the threshold, ratio, attack and release envelopes were modified until the desired 'controlled' sound was achieved. These settings were then applied to the new VCA circuit where the soft knee and ratio curve had been duplicated. A further listening then helped to tweak the settings and ensure that the compressors behaved as expected.
The compressor has two modes: Normal and ‘More’, which let you change the behavior of the compressor to suit different instruments. Whist the Red 3 is well known and loved for its sympathetic approach to compression, it’s not regarded as an ‘effect’ compressor. However, with the OctoPre MkII Dynamic’s 'More' button, found on each compressor, you can bring a bit of aggression to your sound. The More button doubles the ratio from 2:1 to 4:1 and shifts the threshold range, so you have more sensitivity on control. The threshold is closed down, working across a smaller range, as you’re applying threshold control over a much louder signal.
• A/D Dynamic Range 110dB ‘A-weighted’ (all inputs)
• D/A Dynamic Range 110dB ‘A-weighted’ (all outputs)
• Clock Jitter < 250 pico seconds.
• Sample rates: 44.1kHz to 96kHz.
• Sample Rate Clock Accuracy: +/- 20PPM
• JetPLL technology providing superb jitter reduction for class leading converter performance.
• Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1 dB
• THD+N: 0.001% (measured at 1kHz with a 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Noise: EIN > 125dB (128dB analogue to digital): measured at ~60dB of gain with 150 Ohm termination (20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
Saffire Mic Pre
Focusrite has, over the past two decades, built a reputation as the market leader for high quality recording equipment, with its mic pre technology as the cornerstone of that enviable reputation.
The original ISA mic pre, as featured in the early Focusrite Forte console, is still used by many of the industry's greatest producers and has contributed to the sound of countless hit records. Today, Focusrite design equipment for a far greater audience, from professionals to amateur enthusiasts, all with varying budgets.
As with the Classic ISA mic pre used in both the ISA and Red ranges, the Saffire mic pre found in the OctoPre MkII Dynamic is designed to the highest possible standards. It upholds the same wide bandwidth philosophy featured in the original forté console, back in 1989. As with the Classic ISA mic pre, the Saffire mic pre design features custom components which have undergone an intense testing and qualification process.
With the facts and figures in, Focusrite designs then have to pass the essential listening stage. Any design can measure well on the test bench but only a great design can be qualified in the studio. The FET-based Saffire mic pre design is no exception. It delivers clarity without colouration and exhibits the signature transparency for which Focusrite have become famous.
With the high channel count interfaces (Saffire PRO 40 and Liquid Saffire 56) and both the OctoPre MkII and OctoPre MkII Dynamic, the Saffire pre-amp has been optimized for drums. The theoretical maximum level of a microphone was calculated, and the mic pre was adjusted with this in mind so as not to clip with this level present, set to minimum gain. As a result, the mic pre won’t clip, even with a high output level mic right up close to a snare drum (the mic input will accept signal levels up to +16dBU from a microphone).
• Mic / Line inputs on XLR Combo with auto-switching between Mic (XLR) and Line / Instrument (TRS).
• Mic / Line / Instrument 1 & 2: 2 x XLR Combo on rear panel.
• Mic / Line 3-8: 6 x XLR Combo.
• Instrument: As above, switched to Instrument (inputs 1 & 2 only).
• Line level 8 x ¼” TRS Jack.
• Nominal output level 0dBFS = 16dBu, balanced
• Switching to enable monitoring of A/D inputs or ADAT inputs with ADDA switch.
• ADAT Out 1 & 2: 8 channels (44.1 / 48kHz), 4 channels S-MUX (88.2 / 96kHz, 8 channels total).
• ADAT In 1 & 2: 8 channels (44.1 / 48kHz, ADAT 1 only), 4 channels S-MUX (88.2 / 96kHz, 8 channels total).
Gain and Levels
• Mic Gain: +10dB to + 55dB.
• Line 1-8 Gain: -10dB to +36dB.
• Instrument Gain: +10dB to +55dB.
• Phantom power switched in 4 channel groups on Mic. 1-4 and 5-8.
• Mic and instrument maximum input level +16dBu.
• Line maximum input level +26dBu
• Threshold Range: -44dBFS (Max setting) to -4dBFS (Min setting).
• Compression Ratio Normal: 2:1, More: 4:1.
• Auto Make Up Gain: 4dB (Min setting), 18dB (Max setting).
• Attack Time: 1.2ms, Release Time: 28ms (-3.5dB method).
• Compression Curve: Classic Focusrite Soft Knee.
• THD+N (maximum at any compression threshold, input < +16dBu, gain at minimum): < 0.18%
1. Internal clock
2. Sync to Word Clock Input.
3. Sync to ADAT Input (ADAT 1 input only)
Front Panel Indicators
• Metering of analogue inputs (channels 1-8), 5 segment (-42, -18, -6, -3 and 0dBFS).
• 4 Sample Rate LED’s (44.1k, 48k, 88.2k & 96k).
• 3 Sync Source LED’s (Internal, Word Clock and ADAT).
• ‘Lock’ Indicator LED.
• ADDA Switch for analogue output source selection (A/D’s or ADAT inputs).
Unboxed: W = 484mm / 19”, H = 45mm / 1.8”, D = 265mm / 10.4”
Boxed: W= 595 mm / 23.5”, H= 120 mm / 4.75”, D= 340 mm / 13.4”
Single unit unboxed net weight : 3.6 kg / 7.3 lbs
Single unit boxed net weight : 4.05 kg / 8.9 lbs
Digital Downloads (buying software)
All software marked as "serial download" or "digital download" will be delivered via email within normal office hours.
Simply add the software to the basket and at the delivery stage in the checkout please select "Digital Download - Software by email" as your delivery method
Delivery Charges (Main Products)
All orders over £20.00 will be delivered free via our standard delivery 2-3 days (UK Mainland)
If you need your item faster we also offer a Priority Tracked service at £3.99 (1-2 days) or Next Day Tracked £5.99
(please ensure you add a mobile number to your order for tracking)
Saturday delivery is available when ordered before 2pm (Mon-Fri)
All orders below £20.00 will start as low as £1.99 depending upon weight and qty(s) (UK Mainland)
All Delivery options will be available at the delivery stage in the checkout
EU Delivery Times
Non UK Mainland Addresses please allow 1-3 Days
Delivery To Belgium / France / Germany please allow 3-4 Days
Music PC Systems - Please allow 5-7 Working Days build time (UK) 7-14 (Rest of the World)
French - Pour la Livraison s'il vous plaît permet en France 2-4 Jours
German - Für Lieferung Nach Deutschland erlaubt bitte 2-4 Tage
On delivery you must inspect the goods carefully for damage as Inta Audio is unable to accept responsibility for damage in transit, shortage of delivery or loss of products unless the customer advises Inta Audio of such within three working days from the date of delivery.
We ask that you follow these guidelines to help us process your return as quickly and efficiently as possible:
1. Please keep your order reference to hand. This confirms your original order and gives us the necessary details to authorise the product’s return.
2. Contact our Customer Services Team on 02476 369898 (or e-mail email@example.com). We will then send you an RMA number and returns form which needs to be completed and sent back with the returned item(s).
3. (If the order has been unpacked) re-package it to ensure that it is being returned in its original condition. Please make sure all items relating to the product are returned, including manuals and cables.
4. When returning an item please obtain a ‘proof of postage’ receipt from the Courier.
Returned items must be mailed within 10 days of when the RMA Number has been issued. Items received with a post date 30 days after your requested return will NOT be eligible for refund.
Please note: Our returns policy is quite straightforward but there are a number of conditions that we ask our customers to comply with before applying:
1. It is your responsibility to request a return. If you don’t tell us you want to make a return, we don’t know. Once you do tell us, we will do everything we can to action it.
2. If you have not requested a return within 28 days of receiving an order, we will have assumed that you are intending to keep it and we will not authorise a return.
3. We always refund the payment according to how the original purchase was made and aim to do so within 72hrs of the return being received by us.
4. Returned goods are liable for a restocking fee of 15% towards handling and repackaging if the order is not returned in its original, unopened packaging. This charge will be subject to our inspection of the returned goods.
5. Delivery charges will not be refunded unless the delivered goods are faulty.
6. Replacement products are dispatched immediately after the returned goods have been received and accepted by Inta Audio.
7. Items that develop a fault within 30 days of delivery are eligible for a replacement or a refund. Delivery costs are also reimbursed for faulty items. Please contact our Customer Services Team on 02476 369898 if you believe your item has developed a fault.
Finally, please remember that notifying us of your intention to apply for a return, saving the delivery paperwork and keeping the order in its original packaging will help both you and Inta Audio to process the return quickly.
If you have any questions about our Returns policy please telephone us on 02476 369898 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.